Extensions Question

Who is responsible for the air brick extension pipework under new concrete floor in extension?

Good afternoon,
I'm hoping somebody may be able to help on my matter as I'm struggling to get the necessary guidance I need.

We have recently had an extension built at our house. My house has a suspended floor with a cavity but that was replaced in the extension with a concrete block floor. However, in the part of the house where the cavity remains I have noticed a musty, stale smell that is getting worse. I have had the chimney swept so there is nothing in there so it is coming from under the floor, the cavity.

My question is; has the concrete floor removed the airflow under the house as the airbricks at the back of the house have been removed? Should this have been considered/ rectified before the floor was poured?

I am now worried I am getting damp under the original parts of the house hence the smell.

What is the usual way to deal with this scenario during an extension? And who should have noticed this and taken responsibility, the builder or Building control company?

Thanks very much any help is greatly appreciated.

2 Answers

Best Answer

it could be lack of ventilation under the floor yes it should have been picked up, and finally, the person responsible for the any flaws in any build is unfortunately you, as the house owner, it is ultimately your responsibility to make sure everything is correct, building regs are only interested in the fact the new build is built according to current regs and is safe, the builder is only interested in making sure everything on the build goes smoothly. you can put vents in where the suspended floor is to allow cross air flow.
good luck Alex

Answered 1st Sep 2017

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

If the new extension covers the original air bricks, then the builder of the extension should of installed new telescopic vents in the cavity of the new extension going beneath the slab, and ducting through into the existing house wall to allow the correct cross flow ventilation. Unfortunately it's sounds like he has either cut corners or was in experienced enough to take on the job properly. To fit these now is almost impossible. Best you can do is fit a new vent in the house wall either side of the extension assuming the extension does not cover the whole house. Not sure where you stand legally as I have never had any dealings with my work.

Answered 10th Oct 2017

MK Building Services

Member since 10 Oct 2017

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Extension Builders who can help you with your project.

Search all questions