Electrical Question

Do i need an electrical certificate?

We had a pendant light in our bedroom, but had this changed to spotlights. We also had a new shower pump and swith fitted, linked to the consumer unit. Do we need an electrical certificate for the spotlights or is this considered ok as there was an existing light anyway? Do we need a certificate for the new switch and link to the consumer unit? All work was undertakenby a qualified electrician. Appreciate your advice please.

3 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Sarah. You need a Minor Works Certificate for the lights, as this has changed from one accessory to many and the cable will be extended, although it's running from the same switch.

If you had a shower pump and switch replaced like for like, this doesn't need a certificate. However, if it's a new circuit, this will require a Electrical Installation Certificate.

Often electricians provide Minor Works Certificate for accessory changes. This is not required by regulations but often gives a customer piece of mind.

Answered 31st Aug 2017

A.S Electrics

Member since 12 Apr 2016

The electricain who carried out the works should have signed the works off and issued a minor works certificate its part of the job, always use qualifeid trade men who will issue a certificate on completion of their own works, would you have your car serviced and not ask for a guarantee.

Answered 1st Sep 2017

Merlx Electrical Services

Member since 28 Jun 2016

I agree with everything A.S Electrics said but would like to add that if there was a new circuit connected to the consumer unit then this would also require building control notification.

Answered 4th Sep 2017

Harrison Electrics

Member since 15 Aug 2017

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions