Ask a tradesman


Single extension up to my party 6ft garden wall

I want to build an extension at the side of my house, I have been told I need a gap for air circulation around extension not touching our garden party wall, as I would like the extension to be 3m wide and the gap is only 3.2 wide from house to garden wall it would need to be as small as possible ( the gap)
How would a builder be able to seal the other side of the wall to prevent damp and how do I make sure the garden wall stays in good repair? Or am I asking the impossible, our garden party wall would be 7.8 long thats the length of the extension I would like.

2 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

if your planning to build an extension near to a brick wall or a neighbours extension its find, I would have a gap of 150mm or more, i would use a dense concrete block on the outer skin with a damp tray, the gap i would always concrete with a fall so water runs off at 150mm below the D.P.C


Answered 26th Aug 2017

I’d use engineering brick as it’s a dense cheap brick for the outer skin keeping cavity clean


Answered 30th Jun 2018

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories