Restoration & Refurbishment Question

Building a new ensuite and garage - does it require building regulations inspection?

I am planning to build a new ensuite upstairs in a victorian house, and a garage in the backyard not connected to the property. I was told by a friend that this would require building regulations approval and an inspection to certify the work. He also mentioned that some builders might be able to self certify the work without getting the approval and certification. Could someone let me know how I can get my work completed?

Thanks and Regards

5 Answers

Best Answer

Internal work does not require planning permission unless you intend removing load bearing walls However all plumbing ,heating, requires a registered Korgi approved plumber.
All external building and groundwork requires building regulations approval

Answered 14th Mar 2011

Tradesman Decorators Nottm/Wirral

Member since 25 Sep 2008

you will need building control to look at the work done to certify it.Because you will be altering structural walls. The garage if it is smaller then 30 sqm will not need planning or building control . unless you are in a conservation area. But its best to ring and clarify

Answered 14th Mar 2011

S.T.A.N. Construction

Member since 17 Aug 2008

Depending what you put in the bathroom you maybe able to do without building reg inspection. If any electrical work is needed then a completion certificate will be required if you sell the house in the near future. these are obtained from authorised contractors or through the inspection route. A similar situation surrounds window replacement. A good contractor will give you more advice after a site visit. I hope this helps.
Kind Regards


Answered 14th Mar 2011

Wilkinson Estate Management

Member since 5 Nov 2010

Yes it does need Building Regulation approval as when you come to sell your house your Solicitor will ask you if there have been any internal alterations carried out, and if you have had the work certified by the council. Depending on the council they usually cost around 250-300 pounds and in our opinion are worth paying for, as you may encounter problems when you come to sell your house.

Answered 14th Mar 2011

Creative Construction

Member since 27 Nov 2010

you will need building regs for an ensuite, as long as the garage is at least a metre from your boundery fence you will not need building regs you will need building regs for any electrics. best bet to be sure is phone up your local council building regulations and ask,they will also be able to advice on the costs involved.
hope this is of help

Answered 14th Mar 2011

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Restoration & Refurb Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions