Kitchen Fitting Question

Undermounted stainless steel sink - filling gap with non-reflective sealant?

I have just had a Franke round sink and drainer undermounted to a quartz type worktop. The two 'bowls' have a sort of stepped lip to them and when undermounted, it makes it look like there is a dark line around the top of the bowl. I wondered if there is anything I could use to go around this lip ie tight under the work top, to get rid of this shadowing. The two items have been set in place and sealed etc (I assume with transparent sealant?), so I don't need to achieve a seal - it will be purely for asthetic reasons. However, I particularly dislike the usual bathroom/kitchen shiney white sealant and wondered if there is anything out there which could be used in this situation which dries to a dull finish?
The worktop join was filled with some rubbery-looking stuff which was put on liberally and then rubbed off with fine wire wool. What might this have been and would that work?
I really hope someone has an answer - thank you!

2 Answers

Best Answer

As this is Quartz it is unlikely to have been Colorfill but a jointing compound matched to the colour of the worktop and designed for granite and marble. Akemi Marble Silicon is the most common and available online.

Answered 4th Jan 2012

Hook Construction Partnership

Member since 9 Mar 2009

hello, the adhesive that was used to join the worktops and fill the join in the worktops is a product called colorfill, this only comes in small tubes and would probably not be best for use around the sink. Have you thought about using a coloured caulk. As the sink is already sealed it would not matter if you were to go over it with caulk. Word of advice, take your time as it can be a bit tricky to get looking good. Hope this helps and best of luck,

Joe Williams

J.W Building Services

Answered 27th Nov 2011

Joe Williams

Member since 25 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions