Plastering Question

Plastering a whole house?

I wish to get a rough idea of how much it would cost to replaster almost all internal walls of a 4 bedroom property in east London. I am in the process of buying my first family home and wanted an idea of the amount of work required. I would like the house replastered inside as its fairly old and needs some 'modernisation' before we can move in.

Is the old plaster (sand + cement) removed before another layer is applied? Does the plasterer usually quote for the removal as well or just the plastering of walls? Does the brickwork get damaged during the removal of existing plaster? Do the plasterers complete the job by doing one or two layers of the finishing (skimming) or is this a job for someone else?

Also is it the plasterers responsibility to remove all central heaters/skirting boards and any wall fixtures to carry out the replastering as standard or will I have to ask? I wish to remove most things and start fresh with the house, I even want new skirting boards and possibly new central heating system.

If anyone has ideas on the best way forwards with this project then please advise, my main concern is I want the internal walls sorted and then I can decorate myself.


3 Answers

Best Answer

Hi, it depends how much work is involved. is it purely skimming over? hack old plaster to brick and aply base coat and skim? First option costs will be roughly per room £530 with materials, second solution will cost up to £1200 per room including materials. Thanks P

Answered 21st Nov 2011

Building & Plastering Solution

Member since 5 May 2008

Yup, post the job, get it looked at professionally.

Answered 26th Nov 2011

Mark Medhurst Carpentry,Plastering and General Building

Member since 7 Nov 2011

I would post the job in question on here, then you will get some quotes, sometimes I remove radiators and refit them sometimes not depends on the client as for the skirting's I wouldn't have thought a plasterer would mind taking them off but do get a carpenter to put the new ones on for you, again you can post that job on here.

As for what needs to come off the walls thats down to the condition of them,if there's blown patches then they need to be removed, solid stuff can stay and be over-skimmed with two coats of finish really need a plasterer to pay a visit and advise.

Answered 22nd Nov 2011

ABM plastering

Member since 21 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions