Handyman Question

How can we box in part of a window to allow fitted wardrobes without bricking up and replacing the window?

We are planning to have fitted wardrobes installed but have a problem that they will sit proud of the window on the end wall. Bricking up part and replacing the window could be quite expensive so we wondered if there was a way of blocking up a third of the window to the edge of one UPVC panel on he inside and making it look like the rest of the wall.

2 Answers

Best Answer

If i were you,i would just have wardrobes fitted short of the wall a little and use that space for something else......maybe open shelving tapered in.


Answered 20th Nov 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

It's never going to be easy to make it look right from the inside or outside.

If you've no other options it maybe possible to make it look better from the outside by putting a reflective film on the window glass. This will reflect light and hide the fact that it is boxed in on the inside.
Then on the inside you could fit a scribe panel between the wardrobe and the window (hopefully the vertical strut) to box in and make it look solid and tied in.

But like I said, it's very difficult to make it look right.


Answered 7th Jan 2012


Member since 5 Dec 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Handymen who can help you with your project.

Search all questions