Conversions - General Question

How can i tell if an internal wall is load bearing? do builders usually charge to check this if we are unsure?

6 Answers

Best Answer

You can tell if a wall is load bearing, if it is a double storey property and there is the exact same wall lay out on the floor above then the wall below is a load bearing wall.

If this wall has no floor above but has a loft space, you can check to see in the loft space if there are any trusses or main beams resting on the wall, if not then it’s not a load bearing wall.

No building contractor should ever charge just for information, it’s all about getting a good reputation and potential clients passing your name on.

Hope this helps.

TMart Developments Scotland LTD

Answered 21st Nov 2011


Member since 22 Feb 2009

A degree of common sense will allow you to determine some structural walls but it really depends upon the style of the structure of your house ie victorian terrace, semi detached, etc. A common mistake some people make is tapping the wall, hearing it to be hollow and removing what then turns out to be a structural wall- for example a wall in the middle of a victorian house that carries part of the load from the roof.
You can check with your neighbours to see if they have had similar works carried out or have a selection of builders come around and have a look. But ultimately, if you want peace of mind, engage a structural engineer who will be able to advise you professionally. A typical charge would probably be in the region of £100-£150.

Answered 21st Nov 2011

Tavenor Finnis Builders & Decorators

Member since 13 Nov 2009

The wall needs to be inspected above ceiling height by removing some of the ceiling, or by lifting floor boards. A charge will be down to the individual builder and if further work is required once the inspection has been done.

Answered 20th Nov 2011

Ian Dawson Builder

Member since 17 Nov 2011

I wouldnt worry about whether or not a builder will charge to take a look.Most builders will look for free but even if they did charge it would be a minimum fee and would be insignificant if it turns out that it is loadbearing and you want it removed.If it is you will have to pay for a structural engineer to calculate what is needed to bear the load currently taken by the wall,a fee for building control to inspect the work,cost of rsj,skip and labour for someone expierienced enough to do the work.All of which will cost you more than half an hours time with a builder for advice.

Answered 20th Nov 2011

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

depends if you are only asking a builder for his advice,then yes he would charge for a visit,

Answered 20th Nov 2011


Member since 22 Nov 2010

A good builder should be able to tell you, but as taking a solid wall down is classed as structural you need to notify building control.
If its load bearing, you will also need a S/E to calculate any steels.

Answered 20th Nov 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions