Ask a tradesman
Can you tell me what size rsj you need for a pair of doors 60ins wide.
where do you get an RSJ from?
The wall is a load bearing one the house is old victorian pre 1900. We believe the wall to be a double and their is a rad on either side. We have the the doors just was'nt sure what support we would need.Never knocked through a wall before.
4 Answers from MyBuilder Restoration & Refurb Specialists
when you say rsj maybe you ,mean lintel? the load bearing either side of a lintel for doors and windows is usually 150 mm. all good builders merchants will sit with you and supply exactly what you require. you just need to take some details of position etc of the doors to be installed
Answered 18th Nov 2011
You havent stated the width of the wall, if its a single skin wall, ie 100mm thick then a 1.8m Box catnic will do.
If its double wall then you need a boot lintol.
You can use a rsj, just add on minimum 150mm bearing either side, so 300mm longer than the opening.
Answered 18th Nov 2011
You also havent stated if this is a load bearing wall and what, if any, load is above this opening?
Answered 20th Nov 2011
You cant just order an RSJ. It has to be calculated, dependent on the load it carries and the length of the beam. Steel calculations are not expensive. I do them myself. But be warned, some builders will offer you an opinion on the size but it should be properly calculated to make sure you get the right one
Answered 26th Nov 2011
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- Do you need a pressure flush if you already had a power flush 8 months ago with a new boiler and Magnaclean installed?
- Our conservatory was built in 1999. The brick work either side of the double doors is showing signs of subsidence. What can be done to rectify this?
- Could you please tell me if you also have companies that can arrange property surveys? We have been advised that a complete survey of the property is necessary in order to draw up a list of works.
- what size bifold door should I buy.