Damp Proofing Question

Methods for installing a damp proof course

What's the best method of installing a damp proof course?

6 Answers

Best Answer

I agree with Britanna building Co Ltd on this mater apart from one thing. Being a remedial company we know you can not get an insurance backed guarantee for the DPC cream, in the past companies have said to there guarantor company that they have used injection fluid and only use the cream on minor walls or not at all just to get the guarantee witch then is invalid if inspected.
We use a pressurized chemical injection, apply a tanking slurry then add SBR in the mortar mix this gives you three barriers against rising,penetrating and salt efflorescence and is insurance back able.

In your area find a company who is a member of the PCA and can offer you GPI insurance backed guarantee as this is the best and safest guarantee you can get.

Hope this helps

Answered 17th Feb 2011

Hayden Preservations Ltd

Member since 10 Jul 2008

There are different methods of intalling a damp course some are holistic whilst others are scientific.
In recent years the chemical companies have devloped injection creams which are injected into holes drilled into the fabric of a building from the external elevation of non cavity walls and both internal and external on cavity walls. These methods are similar to the pressure injected methods used in the 80's and 90's.
However they require the replacement of the plastering up to 1000mm above the top of the existing damp and so cost starts to add up.
Other methods are the ' Holland ' or Dutch method which involves the placement of 100mm individual air bricks which create cold spots and alledgedly draw moisture to them.

There are other methods that may be employed for certain criteria such as the removal of the mortar joint and the insertation of membrane or pitch but these methods are labour intensive and not always 100% successful.

I would suggest that you research the matter further and make your decision based on what is best value for you and not the cheapest option. If I was to install a DPC to my own home I would use an injection cream and get an insurance backed guarantee from the company.

Hope this helps Paul BBC.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

BBC Home Improvements Ltd

Member since 22 May 2008

I have been in the damp industry over 25 years and have carried out almost all of the diffrent types of DPC . If installed correctly and for the right situation they all work but i would say that the cream is pretty much fool proof and can be installed by most people with a good knolledge of DIY just follow instruction but if carrying out for first time buy a little bit more than they recommend as they say you will lose 10% but i would allow for 20%
Hope this helps Steve

Answered 17th Feb 2011

SL solutions

Member since 29 Jan 2010

Hi there,
Personally I would knock every other 3 brick out and use PVC damp course or have it injected.

Answered 17th Feb 2011


Member since 20 May 2010

The ideal way is to have a combination of injection and tanking compound.
A cream injected into the brickwork will create a DPC to prevent against rising damp and application of tanking coumpound onto brickwork up to 1.5m above DPC will prevent against any penetrating damp that may occur either from existing damp within the brickwork or if the cream installation gets bridged or fails at any point.
Note : waterproofer in cement render isn't as good as using a proper tanking compound.

Always get a gaurantee preferably insurance backed.

Answered 17th Feb 2011

MAP Build

Member since 18 Nov 2009

A combo of a new injected or cream damp course and tanking taking off the plaster up to 1.5 meters and tankng the structure.

Answered 22nd Feb 2011

jpg property repairs

Member since 26 Jul 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions