Carpentry & Joinery Question

Chipped wooden worktop repair

Hi guys
I have an oak worktop which got damaged by one of my drunken guests by smashing a bag of ice cubes on it... The damaged area is small but dents are visible and there's slight chip on the edge.
I've posted the job here but it generates no interest at all, not a big enough job Im guessing.
Anyway, I am going to try and fix it myself just not sure what to go with.
For the edge I though gluing a bit of edge from the off-cut that I have left and sanding it later. Not sure at all how to treat the impact dents though... Should I go for the hard wax? Or wood filler plus stain? Any ideas?
Please can you advice.
Thank you

2 Answers

Best Answer

You'll need the following:
An iron
Paper towel. I used a shop towel but an old t-shirt or rag will work, too
Put a dab of water on the affected area. Not too much. Just enough to cover the dent(s).

Cover it with your paper towel/rag. At this point, the water will wick through the material. That's fine.

Now, with your iron on its highest setting, hold it over the affected area and make small movements back and forth and in circles. Press down firmly and continue until your paper towel is dry. It won't take long to evaporate.

At this point, the wood fibers are absorbing the water and should expand back to where they were originally.

Continue this process and repeat by adding more water until the dents rise up to be flush with the rest of the material.

Answered 17th Aug 2016

D French Carpentry

Member since 17 Aug 2016

No feedback

If it is a solid timber top you could try lightly sanding off the finish to the area of impact damage and then keep moistening the area if the dents are not to deep the moisture should make the timber swell back up then you can just re finish it.

Answered 16th Aug 2016

C M Carpentry Services ltd

Member since 9 Aug 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions