Flooring Question

Underlay on stairs

When putting underlay on stairs do you go from the gripper rod on the step to the gripper rod on the back of the step or do you just the step?

4 Answers

Best Answer

British Standards recommendations are fir fitting underlay from gripper to gripper hope this helps.

Answered 12th Mar 2011


Member since 9 Feb 2009

you dont have to put it on the uprights as you dont tread on this bit. make sure you get a good quality underlay. as it will make your carpet last longer as well..roy

Answered 8th Mar 2011

northview property mainenance

Member since 13 Sep 2010

You put gripper on both.You will notice that the gripper pins are angled make sure that these pins face towards each other,ie the gripper on the step faces towards the back of the step & the gripper on the vertical (riser) faces down.

Hope thiss helps



Answered 9th Mar 2011

Accent Flooring

Member since 16 Nov 2010

No feedback

Between each riser and tread the gripper rod pins are angled and must face each other, make shore there is a about 1cm gap between each edge of the gripper on the riser to the tread as you will need to fit two pieces of carpet between them.

lay a good underley to steps as you only tend to walk up the centre of a staircase and the lip of all the steps will take most of the damage caused by foot flow

underlay must be offered up to the gripper on the tread then stappled or spray adhered, "if you do not have a 13mm stapple gun," once you have fitted the tread bend the remaining underlay over the riser to meet with the gripper stapple or adhere again make shore its pulled tight then cut the remainder off along the gripper line

carpet fitting is all about the prep work the better the prep the better the finshed look

cheers jimmy

Answered 17th Mar 2011

Majestic Flooring Ltd

Member since 30 Jul 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Flooring Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions