Windows Question

Is there any building regs for window sills?

I have had windows replaced. I had the old tiles sills removed from the out side, they have just replaced them with stubb sill upstairs instead of 150 ones. will this not affect the drainage of the water? downstairs windows have fitted with 150 ones

is there any regs that this comes under?

3 Answers

Best Answer

It sounds as if the installation company has boo booed
If the old tiled sills had been left in then yes they would not have needed a 150 mm Sill. ( 85mm stub would be ok )
The problem you will have is that the water will not run off proper.
It will soak onto the brickwork,and more than likely

Answered 24th Oct 2011

Homesure Installations & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2008

You should be ok, but the windows should have been fitted by a Fensa registered installer, and have issued a certificate.

Answered 21st Oct 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

Hi Kulvir

If the tiled sill was removed then they should have put a 150mm sill on.
This can be rectified by removing the window and replacing with a 150mm sill.

There are two ways that you can ensure compliance with relevant regulations, firstly you may employ a contractor or installer who is registered under the FENSA self-certification scheme.Or a Person registered by BM Trada Certification Limited, the British Standards Institution or CERTASS Limited.

A FENSA contractor is approved to carry out the work in accordance with relevant regulations without inspection by the council and will inform FENSA when installation has been completed. Random inspections of completed work are carried out.
If your windows were not installed by a FENSA registered contractor then they should have informed the local council building department who then have to inspect the work carried out.
Remember when selling your property, surveyors will ask for evidence that replacement glazing installed after April 2002 complies with the new Building Regulations. There are two ways to prove compliance:-

A certificate showing that the work has been done by an installer who is registered under the Fenestration Self-Assessment Scheme by Fensa Ltd, or a Person registered by BM Trada Certification Limited, the British Standards Institution or CERTASS Limited.

Or a certificate from the local authority saying that the installation has approval under the Building Regulations.

If in doubt contact your local council building controls officer who should help you with this problem.

Hope this helps

Trevor & Mike

Answered 29th Dec 2011

ID Windows Doors Glazing

Member since 21 Nov 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Window Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions