Ask a tradesman
How to clean an oil stain from a brick driveway?
My car leaked gearbox oil and power steering fluid onto my renting parking space and I have to clean it up.
Unfortunately it has soaked into the bricks and I have no idea how to clean it up.
Any ideas? Does this need a professional with special equipment? Is the only option to replace the stained bricks?
3 Answers from MyBuilder Driveway Pavers
Try a power washer, or degreasing detergent.
Failing that replace bricks, its not a big job.
Answered 20th Oct 2011
Hi try spraying WD40 on to the stains and if this does n,t work replace with second hand blocks so they dont stand out.
Answered 21st Oct 2011
Oil will penetrate readily into a paved area, but will not stain if any spillage is removed promptly with an absorbent material such as paper towels or cloth. The spillage should be soaked up, not rubbed, as this will spread it over a larger area, driving the contaminant into the paving. Should a stain persist, the surface can be scrubbed with a strong detergent and then washed away with hot water. Care must be taken, as this method may also result in a slight loss of pigment in some concrete products. For stubborn stains use an emulsifying degreaser, which should be brushed into the affected area, left for a specific period of time and then washed off with plenty of clean water.
Answered 22nd Nov 2011
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- how long does it take to dig out a driveway? an average driveway that can accomodate 2 cars. driveway mainy grass , but a small area with concrete about 10% of the driveway is concrete
- Is there a 3 PHASE inverter out there that can manage a possible output of up to 60.000 watts for a tanning shop?
- What to cover a damp exposed brick chimney with?
- How to install a UPVC french door frame (of a storm porch) to a bay window