Electrical Question

Hi id like to run an outside switched wall light

The wall light is 60w,please could anyone give clear detailed instructions or diagrams.The wall i want to put it on is outside the kitchen window so could i run it of the fused switch to the fan if i do away with the fan and if so how,or any other suggestions.
Many thanks

5 Answers

Best Answer

the simple fact is that you are not qualified to carry out this work acording to current regulations.
no electrician should encourage unqualified persons to carry out any electrical installation work no matter how small the task might be.
sorry but thats the way it is these days.

Answered 7th Mar 2011

ABS Plumbing & Electrical ltd

Member since 14 Jan 2009

Hello!If you uninstall a fan you can use fused spur to connect outside light if you will leave your fan best way install new fused spur close to fan's spur and connect light to them,drill wall and install cable do not put it threw window and be shure your circuit is RCD or RCBO protected and cable on external wall should be secure by trunkong or plastic conduit.
Hope it will help

Answered 7th Mar 2011

V.A.Electrical services

Member since 30 Oct 2010

Hi there. If your looking to install an outside light and the circuit is not already in place, then this will require certification under Part P of the building regulations, so we strongly suggest getting a qualified Electrician in to view the work required.

There are numerous options available, all of which should meet the latest 17th edition wiring regulations. Before any work is carried out, the Electrician must confirm that both the Gas and the Water are bonded correctly, and that the circuit to be modified is protected by a 30ma RCD.

Kind regards

Answered 7th Mar 2011

Secelec UK

Member since 2 Feb 2009

You may well be able to do the work as described by VA Electrical, however because something works doesn't mean its safe. Get a part P registered spark round to go through the options for you.

Answered 7th Mar 2011

All Wired Up

Member since 27 Jul 2009

Hi, I would have to agree with the others in regards to the works needing certification and thus a qualified electrician. This is the reason for Part P so that any electrical work, no matter how small, is done properly and safely. The job doesn't very big so any decent electrician should be able to complete the task in a cost effective manner.


BC Electrical

Answered 8th Mar 2011

JS Electrical

Member since 19 Feb 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions