Groundwork & Foundations Question

There is a manhole cover in my living room - what can i do about it?

I have recently bought a house - and there is a manhole cover and drain pipe in the living room. We are planning on redoing the flooring - and I want to know if there is anything I can do to get rid of it (as it feels a bit weird having a sewer outlet in the middle of our house). I've read a few posts about this kind of thing - but I still don't know what the options are. Can it be moved somewhere else (i.e. off our property)? If not, can we cover it up permanently somehow? Is there likely to be problems later on if we cover it up?

Here is a picture of the manhole cover(s):

Here is a floorplan showing the location of the covers:

Really appreciate any advice or guidance anyone has on this issue!



1 Answer

It can be moved, the extent of works will not be known until the run and load of the drain is worked out, you could only cover it up with an access panel because you will not need to get to it, until you permanently cover it up (its always the case)

Answered 7th Jan 2017


Member since 7 Dec 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Groundworkers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions