Carpentry & Joinery Question

Discovered cellar under house - how much to reopen?

We've just moved into a new house and have discovered a sizeable cellar (by looking through a grate in front door step). There is no access to the cellar from within the house - how much would it cost to fit stairs and a door? The property is a Victorian conversion by the way.


6 Answers

Best Answer

If there's a cellar,there must be stairs down to it somewhere and chances are they are still there,sounds like the doorway's just been blocked off.
Do a bit more digging,the original doorway will be around somewhere.
Cellars were usually accessed from the kitchen,running underneath the stairs to the first floor.

Good luck!


Answered 3rd Oct 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

Hi Claire call 3 builders from your area , they will see what is required and price accordingly. Post it on this website on the other section,

All the best Wayne

Answered 3rd Oct 2011

Head property maintenance

Member since 14 Jul 2008

Hi Claire

If you have a under stairs cupboard the access to the cellar would have been most likely from there.If your lucky the original staircase may still be there but covered by a new floor.
Hope this helps.


Answered 4th Oct 2011

STM & Daughters

Member since 27 Jun 2008

Hi Claire

It would really depend on the amount of work needing done to it, the chances are it will be damp, if the head room isn't high enough then it would need excavated to achieve the head height needed.

It would be impracticable for any builder to even give you a ball park costing on this project without seeing the building or at very least a set of drawings.



(concept building and renovation ltd)

Answered 4th Oct 2011

Concept Renovation Ltd

Member since 5 Apr 2010

As previously suggested, I would expect staircases to run under each other, Head room is likely to be restricted, I imagine you were looking into a coal cellar, Damp depends entirely whether soil has been loaded against the walls, to make the space usable depends upon the intended use!
The space could be made permanently accessible for a few hundred pounds(dependent upon finishes)
IF you intend to extend into this space, you would have to check permissions,(deeds) even if you own the Free-hold!
Mortgage companies are likely to require tanking (with insurance backed guarantees)...possibly underpinning, and certainly party wall awards, none of which are cheap!, Talk to an estate agent to establish the prospective value, this will establish your budget, then approach an architect with your budget, for feasibility!
Councils are likely to restrict extension toward a main road, even underground, and you have to watch the possible population density, with the number of rooms you are creating.

Answered 4th Oct 2011


Member since 19 Jul 2011

Hi, would need to view to give a quote.

Answered 3rd Oct 2011


Member since 3 Oct 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions