Ask a tradesman


Cooker hood fed from 6mm te cooker switch?

Was talking to a friend who seems to think the below scenario is fine, i don't believe it is.

Basically it's to do with powering the cooker hood by coming off a 6mm T+E cooker switch.

From the consumer unit a 6mm TE cable runs into the cooker switch, from there a 6mm cable runs into a dual appliance plate and then 2 6mm cables feed the oven and induction hob. This feed is protected by a 40A mcb.

To feed the cooker hood he seems to think you can come off the cooker switch with perhaps 2.5mm TE and into a fused switch (with 3amp fuse) and then the hood wires into that.

This is wrong isn't it? Neither of us are electricians and neither of us are going to be doing this, i just want to settle the debate.


4 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer


Please read up on the latest (was updated in 2013) edition of Part P of the Building Regulations. Kitchen work hasn't been notifiable since 2013, and the constant scare tactics are unhelpful, to say the least. As well as the fact that I don't think there has EVER been a prosecution by BC for non notified electrical works.

Also, not being a member of a scheme does not mean that you are DIY, so you're either misunderstanding the whole issue of deliberately misleading people. There are plenty of time served electricians who refuse to join schemes due to the whole scenario of them passing people off as competent (people who have completed "domestic installer" courses for 5 weeks) who are quite clearly not, just because they then collect £500 odd a year. Most schemes are money making organisations and not fit for purpose in all honesty.


Answered 16th Apr 2016

I wouldn't as the 2.5 mm t&e would only be protected by the 40 amp MCB the rating of which is too high for the cable. The rest of it is fine. Take it off a kitchen socket outlet etc.


Answered 13th Dec 2015

First, any work done in the kitchen so it is notifiable. Second, th epropsed method is incorrect and not suitable. Third, and the most important thing is how does your friend intend to test based on the earthing system that is in place at your home?

So if you do this DIY (meaning anyone not a member of a Part P competence scheme) without notification and get caught, you will have a criminal record and have a hefty fine to pay, second, getting the circuit to work is the easy part, installing correctly, testing and understanding the test results to ensure a safe circuit is where the training and technological nous comes in.

Ask for a Part P registered electrician to do the work for you, you will then be covered and safe.


Answered 14th Dec 2015

Protecting a 2.5mm cable with a 45A mcb is not safe, increase the cable size to 6mm into the 3A fuse. This may not be possible so you may have to power the cooker hood from another circuit.


Answered 24th Oct 2016

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories