Carpentry & Joinery Question

Sloping floor in one room of house


I am hoping to puchase a home however the floor in the living room is sloping towards the edge. It is dropping off about 2 feet from the edge against outer wall, the rest of the floor seems level.

Apparently it is not subsidence, possibly rotting timbers? (Info from estate agent).

Who should I be getting in to diagnose the problem accurately and provide cost to rectify, or let me know if it indeed can be left alone.

Is it a structural engineer I need?



3 Answers

Best Answer

If I read that correctly, the floor is two feet out of level! If you are applying for a mortgage a surveyor will be engaged and who will undoubtedly comment on this. However, a Chartered Building Surveyor like myself should be consulted to find out the actual cause of the problem. You should not be accepting the advice of an estate agent on something like this.

Once the cause is known a cost to put the problem right can be found. It may not be anything serious but its a big investment and worth spending some time and money getting peace of mind. Personally, I dont charge much for an initial consultation so your costs may not be too high.


Answered 26th Sep 2011

Right Surveyors North Midlands Limited

Member since 19 Sep 2011

hi i amguessing that the floor goes out of level beginning two feet from the wall and not two feet out of level!! if that were the case i would not buy the house. you need a competent carpenter as i think the joists are dropping on the wallplate on outside wall probably just wet rot. could be dry rot but you would only need lift a couple of floorboards t reveal cause. like i said any experienced carpenter would sort this....Without seeing size of room i would est cost at 200-600 to fix.....nothing major and you will get a free estimate too!

Answered 1st Oct 2011

Bates Carpentry and Building

Member since 23 Jun 2011

Any good builder worth his salt could tell you if the problem is structural or not. And whats more they would in all likely hood would tell you for free. Regards Paul

Answered 1st Oct 2011

LJS Building & Property Services Ltd

Member since 29 Sep 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions