Ask a tradesman

Central Heating

Moving a combi boiler in a flat (share of freehold)


I am in the process of buying a flat (total floor space about 34 square metres). The boiler is currently located in the bedroom and is taking up valuable space in a tiny room. I would like to replace the existing boiler and re-locate (the current model is approaching 20 years old and is a model that I've had problems with in a previous property). I have two questions:
Will it need to be positioned against/close to an external wall.
Roughly how much will it cost?

Thank you

1 Answer from a MyBuilder Heating Engineer

Best Answer

The boiler has a flue which needs to get to outside. Usualyy this is straight through the external wall that it is mounted on, but the flue can be extended horizontally so that it reaches an external wall. Alternatively vertical flues are sometimes an answer, terminating through a roof. Different boilers have different restrictions on how far the flue may be extended, some a few metres and others up to 20m. There are lots of variables affecting the cost; combi boiler or system boiler, size of boiler, upgrades to the gas pipe, amount of additional pipework, choice of controls and even what part of the country you live in. You will probably be looking at £2.5 - £3K but it could be more and really does depend on how all the variables pan out.


Answered 28th May 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories