Ask a tradesman


Moving sockets requires whole system to be at current regs?


I am wanting a new twin socket put into our utility room. To achieve this we'll be relocating a twin socket on the other side of the wall (in the kitchen) and essentially repositioning it in the utility room for use by the washer/drier.

Our current setup has two boards, the main one added in around 2004 with an RCD protecting the high amp circuits, including the circuit for the repositioned socket (so not the lighting).

This also feeds a second older board which controls the rest of the house.

I have had a quote from an electrician who says we need to bring the system up to current regs before the socket can be worked on. The work involves:

* Upgrading gas and water earth from 10mm2 to 16mm2
* Double pole RCD 40A for the feed to the 2nd older board
* RCD for the 6A lighting circuit

He has quoted as follows:

* £160 for the parts for above
* £160 for the labour (1 day)
* £200 to then test the lot and issue a certificate (it is a big house, 2500sqft)

TOTAL £560

Then he can actually do the work for the socket which is another £100 all in.

I just want to check he is correct in saying the whole system is up to current standards and certified before he or anyone else can move a socket?


2 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

The circuit being modified has to meet the current regulations in order to issue a certificate. If the circuit is on the board that does not have RCD protection then yes he would need to bring that board up to the latest requirements, if that board is not being touched then he should only recommend an upgrade but cannot insist. The regs specify 10mm for gas and water bonding and 16mm for main earth.
I hope this helps.
Barratt Electrical


Answered 12th May 2015

Water and gas if 10mm then this is correct so does not need upgrading.
If socket is already RCD protected via the consumer unit with a 30mA RCD then its all good to update.

Even if it wasn't you could use a built in rcd socket.

However I would not run a washing machine and a tumble drier off the same socket - I would suggest extending the ring and putting in two single sockets. The double sockets are rated at 13amp and a washing machine and tumble drier pulls a lot more than that. I have been to countless houses with burnt out sockets ( with serious fire potential) due to the above.



Answered 12th May 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories