Plastering Question

What time of plaster for skimming a victorian terrace?


I have a Victorian terrace (built 1890). The plaster is in reasonable condition in most areas, but in some is scratched, unevenly finished and blown from the wall. I want to bring it up to a near perfect condition for painting. The plasterers I have talked to have suggested using Hardwall for the holes, and Mutifinish for the skim coat. However, i've read that lime based plasters are better for a property of this type which has (I think) original hair & lime plaster and solid walls.

Any views on this? It seems that most go with normal gypsum based plasters regardless apart from where the property is listed, but since there have been condensation issues in the past, I don't want to make these worse.

Any advice appreciated.


2 Answers

Best Answer

it really depends on the type of paint you are going to use, a breathable paint with a lime plaster will work a lot better than a non breathable paint on a modern plaster.
it also depends on what the external brickwork is like. is the lime mortar showing or has it been re-pointed with a cement based pointed or rendering or painted.

good luck Alex

Answered 7th May 2015

ADR Property Maintenance

Member since 1 Mar 2009

Hi, if lime plaster is present in the property then you should go with like for like, Hardwall & skim can be applied but modern gypsum plasters do not provide the breathability of lime based products and if you have had some damp issues then you should definitely consider paying a little extra for lime plaster

Answered 8th May 2015

RJB Plastering

Member since 30 Mar 2015

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions