Ask a tradesman


When is an architect needed? based on size of job or just in general?

Hi Folks,

We are considering a single-storey extension to the rear of our house (Now approx 4 years old) by pushing out the kitchen and dining room to create an open plan kitchen / diner; but unsure of what we need to do in terms of specialists, etc.

We are working through obtaining the freehold to the property and would wait for this to complete before starting any work.

Do we need an architect to survey and draw up plans or can we find a builder who can do this as an all-in-one ? Unsure of the best way of achieving this.

Thanks in advance.

2 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders

The best way forward is to employ someone to prepare the plans and obtain the permission from the council. It doesn't have to be an architect I was a building control surveyor and now obtain the required permissions. I'm in central Scotland
Hope this helps


Answered 7th May 2015

Depends on the builder some may have in house design team and provide a whole package from design stage to completion of job, this is sometimes a quicker option as there is less delay with communication between designer and builder.

However if you get plans done independently, you can then get a no. of different builders to estimate build costs from the drawings you already have.


Answered 19th May 2016

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories