Ask a tradesman
Costs of extension
I'm trying to get a ball park figure of what a side return extension measuring 4.5 x 1.5 metres in London should cost. The general consensus is that it's around £1200 per metre squared, which to me would add up to £8100. Wherever I've looked I've seen costs of extensions to be from £30000 to £110000 for a side extension so I'm really confused. Does the cost per metre squared apply to the new size of the room? What am I missing?
I would also love to know what proportion of the costs is labour costs and what proportion is materials.
I'm having drawings done by an architect as we speak but with the astronomical figures I'm seeing I'm considering giving up on the idea.
Thanks so much for any information.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Extension Builders
Here in Glasgow a single storey extension is generally priced at between £1000 to £1200 / m2
I agree with you on a figure of £8100 to erect the shell and make it wind and watertight Electrical work included in that price and even plumbing if reqd.
Only a builder can explain the breakdown but the main cost is the labour itself.
Hope this helps
Answered 6th Feb 2018
The problem you have is that it is a very small extension so there are no economies of scale. I built a similar sized side extension on on my own house, this came in at £10,600 fully fitted, planning costs, drawings etc. but with minimal labour costs. The usual split is roughly 50:50 in London.
Answered 25th Mar 2015
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- What is the rough cost of a DPC for 23m of wall? The house is a Victorian end of terrace. Please include the cost of replastering internal walls.
- Im planning to have a single storey extension built to the side of my property, do i need to leave room of a path to the rear of the property ???
- Using a neighbour's existing extension wall as part of my new extension wall.
- new conservatory law - building 3m conservatory on rear of house which has existing extension of 3m