Ask a tradesman
Combi boiler and intermittent low pressure
We have a combi boiler, and also share our water supply with the neighbours. If they are using a washing machine or having a shower, the water pressure drops in the upstairs bathroom (where the boiler is located) and we either just get a trickle of water, or the combi stops heating the water, if we are having a shower (tap shower). My question is, is it possible to install a cold water tank to supply water so we don't experience this? If it is possible, what sort of price are we looking at to buy and have it fitted? The alternative is to get a direct feed from the mains to the house, but I would imagine this would be a lot more expensive?
1 Answer from a MyBuilder Heating Engineer
One solution is to have two 50 gallon cold water tanks fitted in roof void, and connected together, from this fit a a suitably sized booster pump serving your boiler cold inlet feed only. This will provide enough hot water for your needs.
As the tanks are supplied with cold water from your cold water service this then serves as a reservoir, the boiler is drawing boosted water directly from the tanks and not your shared cold water service supply.
NB: Booster pumps can be noisy, but this can be addressed to a certain point if approached in a proper manner.
This modification is best undertaken by a qualified plumber!
Answered 10th Mar 2015
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- Hi. A new vaillant ecotec plus combi boiler was installed in my 3 bed house after having issues with my condensing boiler and tank.
- Low pressure shower - replace shower that still runs off existing boiler (and new boiler when replaced)?
- How to increase water pressure and flow rate in Combi boiler house on a hill?
- Low water pressure upstairs after installation of a new combi boiler