Tiling Question

Can you still tile with a biggish gap between the wall and the worktop?

10 Answers

Best Answer

Get a good,local plasterer off this site to visit you & give you a price to 'build out' the walls in corner to get them level for you.
Should be a relatively quick,easy & inexpensive job to do.


Answered 30th Aug 2011

carl melady

Member since 1 Jun 2008

My advice to you would be to get a proper kitchen fitter in and fit the worktops correctly as you obviously havent got a clue what you are doing

Answered 30th Aug 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008


Depends if you want a nice job or a nasty one. A chippy or a kitchen fitter would charge around £200 to fit worktops scribed to the walls.

An inch is a huge gap for a worktop, can you not scribe the worktop to the wall a bit, tiles alone won't cover, but 10mm is possible...

Check link...guy with a compass


Failing that an up stand on the face of the tiles would work but is cow boyish, or a plasterer to build out the corner, both won't be ideal.

Good luck

Answered 30th Aug 2011

Rebel Carpenter

Member since 24 Sep 2008

Hi there, if you haven't used one already use th services of a carpenter/kitchen fitter to fit the worktops as they should beable to fit the work tops so that they are tight against the wall or at least a lot closer than a 1 inch gap. They would do this by either chopping out the render on the wall where the work top is currently tight against the wall so that it then slots in further or they would scribe and cut the back of the work top so that again it sits back tighter against the wall. Then if you still have a gap say of about 10mm, you could squirt expandable foam in the gap and when its dry cut it back flush so that the tiles have something to sit on.
If i were you though i would hire a kitchen fitter to get the job done right.
good luck.

Answered 30th Aug 2011

D.J.P Carpentry Services

Member since 4 Mar 2011

Depends if u want a nice finish or a crap finish to be. Honest

Answered 30th Aug 2011


Member since 8 Apr 2008

Have a plasterer in to straighten the walls and square the corner with a layer of bonding plaster to eliminate most of the gap (not a gypsum skim), and tile away.

Answered 30th Aug 2011

GID Tiling & Repairs

Member since 20 Sep 2010


if you cant scribe the work top to fit, the best way might be to dot and dab plaster board to the walls to bring them out to meet the worktop so tiles can be done

Answered 30th Aug 2011

2 BY 4 LTD

Member since 30 Jul 2010

hi, you purchase an upstand and tile on top of it. you can buy matching upstands to go with your worktops. or you could fill the gap, let it set and tile on top so the tiles do not slide behind the back of the worktop, and build it out enough to hide the gap, hope this helps. thanks damian.(D.A.PROPERTIES)

Answered 30th Aug 2011


Member since 20 Jan 2009

cut the wall and let the worktop into it were the worktop touches or cut the back of the work top to suit the wall or a combination of the two will bodge it nicely

Answered 31st Aug 2011


Member since 9 Oct 2008

you should be able to deal with a maximum gap of 15mm - tiles, adhesive and silicone bead any more than that it starts to get ugly!!

Answered 6th Sep 2011

sam brookes

Member since 6 Sep 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Tilers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions