Ask a tradesman


House re-wire - do cables in walls need metal conduit to comply part p

I,m doing some of house re-wire myself in preparation for qualified electrician to do the actual connections. - Do I need to enclose the cables in walls need to be in metal conduit to comply Part P or can I use reinforced plastic or nylon conduit

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

In short No. All circuits must be RCD protected in order to comply with BS7671:2008. Part P is a separate requirement. As long as the person that carries out the work is Part P certified and installs all the new cabling to the full requirements of BS7671:2008 then you will not have a problem.


Answered 24th Feb 2015

provided your cables are protected by a 30mA RCD, there is no need to provide mechanical protection for them. It is however worth providing it to prevent accidents when putting pictures up etc after finishing the plastering


Answered 24th Feb 2015

As long as all circuits are going to be RCD protected then protection using metal conduit is not required.

Best Regards
TJW Electrical Services


Answered 24th Feb 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories