Ask a tradesman

Central Heating

What type of boiler would be best suited for a 2 bed flat.


I would welcome some advice, I have a two bedroom, first floor flat which has been rented out for almost 10 years, but I have moved in to it about a month ago. I have British Gas homecover, but I was told by the gas engineer and the Plummer that the heat exchanger is all cloggeg up with limescale, which is why I have no hot water in the bath room because the pipes all have built up of slugs and lime scale.

Ive never bought a boiler, have no idea what I should be looking for, please could you help, the more information you can point me to, that better.

Thanking you all in advance.

Many thanks Labi

2 Answers from MyBuilder Heating Engineers

Best Answer

Hi I've just been reading your question. I take it you have a combi boiler, you can have a new heat exchange fitted. other wise if your thinking of replacing the boiler Worcester or Valiant boilers are the best. I would however recommend putting a COMBI MATE (it's a scale reducer) which will help the build up of lime scale clogging up the heat exchange, and all so a magna-clean fitted to your heating system
Hope this help's
John Rogers


Answered 20th Feb 2015


Yes indeed worcester or vaillant are the two best boiler to go for.

You may have the heat exchanger replaced but it's not a cheap job and i would say you will have the same problem on your main heat exchanger soon as well as the secondary heat exchanger so you may end up paying two much for a boiler that is too old and not efficient and you never know whay else will go wrong with it on following years.

If you decide to have it repaired fit a lime scale inhibitor filter as well as magnetic filter and i would advise powerflushing the system using chemicals to clean the pipework.


Answered 25th Aug 2018

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories