Ask a tradesman


Electrical installation condition report for rewiring carried out 8 years ago

I got my house rewired 8 years ago and paid cash. I don't think I got any certificates and i can't remember the name of the company. Is there any way that I can get a BS7671 electrical safety certificate, which I need in order to be able to sell my house,
thank you

3 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Hi you could call a local approved electrician to carryout an EICR (electrical installation condition report) This will prove the current condition of the electrical installation and highlight any issues if there any at all. Being only 8 years old id imagine providing the electrician at the time was of a good standard there shouldn't really be any big issues. This document will provide you with what you need to sell your property. The cost of an EICR is normally between £95-£150 depending on the size of the property and the contractor. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck with your house sale, Jon Midford (JEM Electrical)


Answered 12th Feb 2015

Only legal way is to pay your local authority to come in and inspect and test the work (approx. £300) they will then issue you with a Part P building regulations compliance certificate as this is what the solicitor is seeking. An EICR may well be insufficient.


Answered 12th Feb 2015

The bit in the middle.

A part P compliance cert covers the manner of the installation/rewire, its compliance with building regs. EICR has a limitation in that it doesn't inspect things that can't be seen, e.g. Cables in walls under floors etc, so an LABC may ask how do you show that it complied with building regs?

Potential sticky wicket.


Answered 15th Feb 2015

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories