Ask a tradesman


What qualifications do you need to self certify electrical work?

5 Answers from MyBuilder Electricians

Best Answer

To be part p registered, the person concerned needs to have relevant city and guilds electrical qualifications, i.e 2330 level 3 or others. Also the person needs to be up to date with the current wiring regulations, the 17th edition (city and guilds 2382). Besides the experience as mentioned above (and I must point out money can buy fast track courses but it cannot buy experience, which is priceless.) the person needs to have a level of public liability insurance (minimum £2,000,000) and in some cases professional indemnity insurance. You must also have, health and safety policy, customer complaints procedure, risk assessment documents and records. On top of all this you must be able to test the work and be able to interpret the test results. Some registration bodies do not specify city and guilds 2391 (inspection and testing) and some do, such as NAPIT whom I am registered with.
You then need to apply to a registration body, have an assessment before you can be part p registered.
You must have knowledge of part P of the building regs as this is why the scheme was created in the first place.


Answered 3rd Mar 2011

As already said anyone who is Part P approved by Napit,NIC or ELECSA,(main three)but beware,i went to college for 3 years to get my certs coupled with years of experience and im still learning,now you can go on a short course,pay a few grand and hey presto youre a sparkie.

The work can also be done by any competant electrician as long as they notify building control before work starts there is a building notice fee for this route.
Assuming you are talking about domestic.I would also ask if they have 2391 which is the industry standard for competance in testing.


Answered 1st Mar 2011

Part 'P' and 17th edition IEE regs


Answered 1st Mar 2011

ask the same question to and they will tell you the right way . good luck


Answered 3rd Mar 2011

You have to be Part P registered to self certify. However agree with PCM electrical comments above, in regard to experience is still key to a good electrician along with being part P registered.


Answered 1st Mar 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories