Electrical Question

Electrical bonding

does all bonding have to terminate at the consumer unit, i.e incoming water and gas pipes need to go from the earth block from the consumer unit to the actual incoming pipes?

4 Answers

Best Answer

Either at the consumer unit or at an earth block that is connected to the main earth cable coming from the incoming supply which is then also connected to the consumer unit, all new bonding cables should be 10mm green and yellow cables and the main earth should be 16mm, hope this helps.

Answered 17th Aug 2011


Member since 24 Apr 2010

Just to add, if the bonding cables to gas and water are unprotected and exposed ie run on outside of the house then they need to be 16mm minimum. Dan

Answered 22nd Aug 2011

Bucks Services Ltd

Member since 13 Mar 2011

In a word no, you need to have a 16mm green/yellow cable from the MET to the fuseboard, and then 10mm from the fuseboard to the gas and water mains.
That would be the best way to do it


Answered 17th Aug 2011

CH Electrics

Member since 15 Nov 2010

you can also run just one 10mm earth wire to gas/oil and water pipes as long as it is unbroken and continuous. This may save some valuable cable if the services are near each other.

Answered 23rd Aug 2011

Sparkright Electrical Services

Member since 15 Aug 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions