Ask a tradesman


Want to put fire cement at back of fireplace after removing horrid 70s stonework

The side brickwork is fine but the back is now untidy and eneven as the large blocks came out unevenly. So it probabaly needs some rubble infill and then fire cement plastered on top?? Do I need a plasterer or a fireplace expert?? This is a listed building, large fireplace opening. Any help gratefully received.

5 Answers from MyBuilder Plasterers

Best Answer

A bit vague about the type of material you have, I am guessing old imperial brick.
If so, get bricks to match and rebuild back, using a lime mix.
Back fill with vermiculite, mixed with cement/lime.


Answered 28th Feb 2011

if you're intending to use fireplace again,i recommend using Vitcas Heatproof Screed for re-plastering over brickwork.
I use this myself and have re-plastered quite a few chimney breasts with it when built in 'hole-in-the-wall' fires have been installed.
Fireplace experts who know what they're doing should be able to advise you on this.

Hope this helps,


Answered 2nd Mar 2011

It would be best to get a fire place expert


Answered 28th Feb 2011

Are you intending on using the fire! You can get fire bricks and blocks and just cut them to size, come in all different shapes n sizes even flat sheets, you can then just fascia it up using fire cement so real chore, you can do yourself, general builder should be able to handle it, or a good DIY buddy. Hope this helps, Paul


Answered 28th Feb 2011

line the opening in skamolex boards better finish and quicker, then paint with heatproof matt black paint


Answered 16th Mar 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories