Loft Conversions Question

Structural work required for a loft conversion

I'm in a 200 year old end-of-terrace property. I'm looking at a getting a loft conversion but know very little about what's required. What are the basics that need to be completed for it to conform to building regs? Ideally I'd like just the essentials done as the rest of it will be completed over a much longer time period.


6 Answers

Best Answer

You need to set out the support beams and you can install the stair case but you will need to draw out your plans and submit it to the building control to be approve as well as the beams calculations . You can post your job on the site after for quotes or you can search the data base of the site to get the numbers from builders specialist in this work.
Hope this helps you.

Answered 19th Jul 2011

iulian stefan

Member since 16 Jul 2010

The basic essentials which building control will be interested in are:-

structural integrety of the floor
structural integrity of the roof
Fire escape/s including mins wired interlinked smoke alarms on all floors/levels of house
Natural light

Answered 19th Jul 2011

AJ Plastering & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2010

Normally the roof and proposed new floor area would need structaul calculations with a view to strengthening to carrie new loads ie windows on suite bed ect
TDR Building Services

Answered 19th Jul 2011

TDR Building Services

Member since 19 May 2008

you can speak to the council or get a professional to come around to see what would be required. they would see if it required planning or if it would could be done under permitted development, this is required for planning.
for building control you need plans with calculations, once they are sumitted you can start the work
if you loft does not require planning (most fall within permitted development rights) then you can start when you have the drawing.if you need planning add 8-10 weeks.
we usally return plans within a week of the survay.
most architects would pop out to you and assess the situation and provide you with plans and calculations. one last thing, depending on design you may require a party wall agreement .
i hope this helps and if you have any more questions please get in touch

Answered 19th Jul 2011


Member since 27 May 2010

The most important thing is steels.Speak to your architect & structural engineer

Answered 19th Jul 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

You will need to get some plans done,one showing your existing property and the work that you wish to carry out. This is normally done by an architect but can be done yourself if you are capable or able to use CAD(computer aided design) You will probably not need planning permission as it will be a lawful development but you will need to pay for and build in accordance with building regs. If your property is 200 years old is it listed as this would effect things? The main structure of timber and more than likely steel work would need to be completed and weathered in so you could strike the scaffold and finish the loft in your own time. I hope this is of some help and let me know if you require any help with this project. Kind Regards,Warren(WB Carpentry)

Answered 19th Jul 2011

WB Carpentry&Construction

Member since 24 Jun 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Loft Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions