Architectural Services Question

Would like to remove a pillar in my lounge to make more space. the pillar is a supporting wall.

Would like advice on what steps I should take.

4 Answers

structural engineer to carry out calcs expect to pay 250 -550 for calcs and submittion to council ,get a reputable contractor with proven structural experience and appropriate liability insurances then get the job done

Answered 11th Jul 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2008

hi LIzzie
it not impossible to remove the pillar and replace it with a steel running from wall to wall. you need a structural design with calculations.
with this you can get accurate qoutes, and this is needed for the councils building control. we charge around £200 for this service, i wouldnt poay much more for this type of work.

Answered 11th Jul 2011


Member since 27 May 2010

Your first step needs to be a structural engineer to assess load bearings etc.He will advise what steels will be required.

Answered 12th Jul 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

don't pay more than £250 for calcs for this from a structural engineer, then submit to building control, who will also charge you a fee.

Answered 21st Jul 2011

Ziggurat Design

Member since 28 Jan 2010

No feedback

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Architectural Services who can help you with your project.

Search all questions