Ask a tradesman
Insulation between floors and walls
I am renovating my house. I was wondering what is the best insulation material to use between floors and walls (the walls are next to bathrooms) (1) for insulation of heat and (2) sound proofing? Is rockwool the best?
Lastly, I will be converting the loft but as the roof pitch is high (5.2metres) there will be space for a mini loft above the converted loft space which will be used for storage. What is the best way to insulate the mini loft?
With all this insulation in place what consideration do I need to give with regards to ventilation? The house will be over 4 floors in total the renovation (this includes the ground floor) and there will be a total of 3 bathrooms and 1 toilet room.
Thanks in advance.
2 Answers from MyBuilder Insulation Installers
Dear Sir the most the lost heat appending true the walls if the are solid you should have mould and condensation especially in the Kitchen and bathroom, the best is to insulated
external walls to save any internal works, the loft need approx 250mm of loft insulation to stop heat lose, the are many web site were the explain the External Wall Insulation
Answered 27th Jan 2015
Nottingham • Member since 14 Aug 2015 • 143 jobs, 97% positive feedback
The best insulation is celotex rigid insulation for floor and walls or you get acoustic insulation for sound , loft areas are 270mm Rockwool is fine for that, if the house has a breathable membrane on the roof ventilation should be ok but you can fit a few vent tiles to help
Hope this helps
Answered 5th Feb 2018
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- What's the warmest underlay for carpets and cushioned floors? Are insulation boards/tiles suitable as a base with underlay and carpet on top? Can carpet grippers be fitted on top of insulation boards?
- Loft boarding and insulation - raising floor, laying 100mm thick insulation on top of existing insulation, then board onto it.
- Mould in walls caused by poor ventilation and insulation and type of heating system?
- Internal Insulation between plasterboard walls