Damp Proofing Question

My lower outside wall needs damp proofing can i do it myself if not how much would it be?

6 Answers

You can do it yourself,there are a lot of different chemicals and creams for injecting in the walls, google and read instructions.
If you got a dpc specialist in, they would advise on the best option.
As you know, if you dont use an approved contractor there is no gaurantee.

Answered 22nd Feb 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

The first thing you must determine is what type of damp it is .
Rising damp
On the outside of the wall can you find the original damp proof course (either slate, bitumen or rubber) if not dampcourse probably bridged, on the inside are there any salts( crystalized powder) on plaster if so rising damp is the problem you can try to do it yourself but the plaster would have to come off and new dampcourse installed at correct level either pressure injection or injection cream.
Other type of damp possible is condensation, are you getting black mildew spots in this area and maybe musty smell is there something against this wall ie wardrobe or settee if yes then you have to try and circulate the air.
Input ventilation or heat recovery units the best option the circulate the air mechanically yuo can install these yourself but there are electrics involved and knowing where to site them is paramount
Hope this helps and good luck

Answered 22nd Feb 2011

SL solutions

Member since 29 Jan 2010

hi,go on the internet and find damp proof company,s local to your area who specialize in this,don,t try it your self.thanks nick

Answered 22nd Feb 2011

kentish builder

Member since 14 Jul 2009

hi you can do it your self you can buy a kit with a 15 year guarentee and you need a drill with a 12mm bit

Answered 22nd Feb 2011

NTR Builders & Plasterers

Member since 9 Dec 2010

It is not adviced damp proofing yourself as you have to use special chemicals which have to be carefully handeled and can be dangerous. As for cost, without knowing the size or area you cannot tell. but an accurate quote can bve given over the phone wioth measurements provided. Hope this helps.
Dont be affraid to contact us.

JPG Property Repairs

Answered 22nd Feb 2011

jpg property repairs

Member since 26 Jul 2010

yes you can do it yourself you can buy products in tubes now and just need a silicon gun. maybe look on youtube im sure there will be a video on there showing you how to do it.

Answered 22nd Feb 2011

northview property mainenance

Member since 13 Sep 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Damp Proofing Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions