Plumbing Question

Are stopcocks replaced by individual isolation valves these days?

I've recently had a kitchen installed in my flat and when looking for the stopcock, I couldn't find it. I asked the installer and his plumber said it had been replaced by (a) valves operated with a screwdriver to the kitchen tap and (b) an isolation valve to the combi. The bathroom is apparently supplied by a header in the attic of the building. I don't like this very much and sounds like a backwards step in case I need to shut the water off in an emergency. Is this type of replacement normal practice?

2 Answers

Best Answer

You have been misinformed, service valves are fitted to all outlets, such as W.C sink, bath etc etc as good practice. This is so the item such as a W.C can be isolated without disrupting the mains cold water supply to the rest of the property.

But a stop cock is still required in accordance with local water bylaws.

Answered 13th Oct 2013

Boiler Homecare

Member since 6 Jan 2010

The purpose of an isolation valve (or service valve) is for repair or maintenance to individual appliances or fittings and not for the isolation of the entire incoming water supply. There should be a main stop cock at the point where the mains water supply enters the building, this should also be earthed.

Answered 14th Oct 2013

Brayfield Construction

Member since 1 Oct 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plumbers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions