Electrical Question

When do i get my part p certificate for works carried out on a bigger building project?

Please help.

I have had some work started by a registered part-P electrician who has stopped for a plasterer and will continue to before a second fix.

I want to know when I get my part-P certificate for the works carried out?

I cannot afford to get the whole thing re-tested and checked if he does not provide it.

He has told me that the "office", a completely different building company for whom he subcontracts (with no regulator) deal with all the paper work. I don't trust the office but have found his own company and registration via an online search (it was never offered to me).

What do I need to say to get him to provide this as soon as the works are done?


3 Answers

Best Answer

Not sure on the full scope of works you are having carried out but If you are having any new electrical works carried out they need a building control application and to be inspected / signed off by the Building Inspector. He will not do this until you produce the Electrical Test Certificate which can only be issued by the electrician once all the works are complete and he has done his final testing.

If you have difficulty in getting the certificate from either the electrician or your main contractor, who appears to have sub-contracted the works, just refer the matter to Building Control, who will be happy to look into it for you.

Answered 11th Oct 2013

Brayfield Construction

Member since 1 Oct 2013


First thing, there is no such thing as a Part P certificate.

If you have electrical work done in a home, you have to have it done to a standard that complies with Part P of the building regulations, this is for absolutely everything. Certain areas of work such as kitchen, bathroom and outside of the home or a new circuit anywhere, also need to be notified with local building control.

The electrician issues a certificate to confirm that all works comply with current regulations. If notification to local building control is required, then the electrician notifies his trade body and they in turn notify building control and send a copy of the compliance certificate to the house-owner up to a month later. That is how you know that your electrical works have been notified and you will not have future problems.

In your specific case, the electrician appears to be subcontractor and he will provide his certification to the main contractor (the builder in your case) when the works are complete and the testing has been done. The electrician then has 30 days to notify the trade body that he is registered with (Elecsa, NICEIC, NAPIT etc) of the work that he has successfully completed. Local building control will be notified by the trade body and you (not the builder) should receive the compliance certificate up to four weeks later.

This is why you should ask for Part P credentials before we start.

Hope this helped

Answered 13th Oct 2013


Member since 4 Oct 2013

It sounds like the electrician is in the position that he has been commissioned by the main contractor so does not want to put himself between yourself and the main contractor. If you have checked and found the electrician to be registered at this stage, I do not see any problems as he should provide the installation certificate to the person that commissioned the works and register the works with his governing body. The main contractor should pass the installation certificate on to you and the compliance certificate should either arrive in the post or be passed on to you by the main contractor if it has been sent to them as the people commissioning the work.

Answered 11th Oct 2013

kevin cassidy building contractors

Member since 16 Dec 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions