Carpentry & Joinery Question

Trimming architrave in situ

I am looking to replace the architrave in my house but have found that the architrave and door frame are one piece. To avoid replacing the entire frame I am looking to cut off the architrave in situ. Has anyone ever seen this done? Is there a standard method for cutting an architrave from a door frame?
If anyone has seen this done or has some nice tips on removing I'd greatly appreciate it.

2 Answers

Best Answer

A multi cutter with flush cutting blade should remove it, but will need to go slowly and even then the cut may be a bit messy so may want cleaning up a bit either with a sander or plane, obviously the new architrave will hide majority of it anyway.

Answered 11th Oct 2013

Tempest Property Maintenance

Member since 9 Nov 2012

Sounds a bit of a nightmare job to do. You would probably need to use a power saw to carefully cut up the length of the architrave but would need a handsaw to get into the corners and bottoms. You would then need to smooth it with either a hand plane or power plane. Alternatively you could just use the power plane to remove it all. Personally I would learn to live with what you have got!

Answered 8th Oct 2013

Northants Lock Services

Member since 30 Aug 2012

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Carpenters & Joiners who can help you with your project.

Search all questions