Bricklaying Question

Thickness of rsj lintels to support main wall

Hi, what thickness rsj lintel would I need to use to support a main wall which needs to support 2 rooms above.

Additional: I would like to thank the builders who replied. The builder I got did not tell me I needed a report, I told him this and not seen him since, must have been bad one. I have just brought the house, don't know anything about building work. Thank you all for your advice, Angie.

3 Answers

You won't get an answer like this. You need to pay a structural engineer to visit and do the calculations if you want this building to survive:)

Answered 3rd Oct 2013

Roc builders

Member since 25 Aug 2011

please, you can not expect anyone to give you a steel size base on that information.
Anyhow, this IS a structural opening and therefore Building Control by your local council MUST be involved, this can be done via a Building Notice with the appropriate fee for the works. They will also insist that a set of engineers calcs are provided.
It will be false economy not to use a structural engineer and avoiding building control will only come back and bite you at the point of sale; plus you're putting your family at unnecessary risk if the beam fails!

Answered 4th Oct 2013

JLM Architecture Limited

Member since 5 Sep 2013

Haha, someone is trying to get away with having to pay a structural engineer!! No chance that you will get an answer on here.

You need to pay for a professional structural engineer to calculate the beams, building control will insist on it and your life relies on it!!!

Answered 4th Oct 2013

R.Hughes Building and Conservation Ltd

Member since 25 Feb 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions