Bricklaying Question

What type of rsj or lintel do i need?

Hello. I'm about to put a single door measuring 840mm wide from my hallway into my garage. The house is a 4 year old, 2 storey george wimpey built property. The wall is made of concrete block and plaster board. above the new door frame will be 1 row of concrete block, the ceiling and a plaster board stud wall upstairs,
Q1. Do I need planning consent?
Q2. Do I need to get a structural engineers report?
Q3. What type of support will i need above the new door frame?
Any help or advice will be much appreciated.

3 Answers

Best Answer

you will need a concrete lintel size 1200x 65x 100

Answered 17th Jun 2011

Member since 16 Dec 2010

best advice is to draw a sketch and show the local council your idea suggest that you are inserting a catnic lintel above the door will also need a fire door due to fire regulations and a inspection from building control from the local council just to pass you a cert only reason being insurance liabilitys with out looking i cant really say wether it needs a catnic/concrete plinths or steel rsj but the council will advice you on the spec i hope this helps
acorn construction ltd

Answered 17th Jun 2011


Member since 10 Jan 2009

Yes a simple reinforced concrete intel 1140 (doorway width plus minimum 150mm overlap each side) x 100 x 65 will meet building regulations.

Answered 17th Jun 2011

AJ Plastering & Building Services

Member since 14 Jan 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bricklayers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions