Ask a tradesman
What type of rsj or lintel do i need?
Hello. I'm about to put a single door measuring 840mm wide from my hallway into my garage. The house is a 4 year old, 2 storey george wimpey built property. The wall is made of concrete block and plaster board. above the new door frame will be 1 row of concrete block, the ceiling and a plaster board stud wall upstairs,
Q1. Do I need planning consent?
Q2. Do I need to get a structural engineers report?
Q3. What type of support will i need above the new door frame?
Any help or advice will be much appreciated.
3 Answers from MyBuilder Bricklayers
you will need a concrete lintel size 1200x 65x 100
Answered 17th Jun 2011
best advice is to draw a sketch and show the local council your idea suggest that you are inserting a catnic lintel above the door frame.you will also need a fire door due to fire regulations and a inspection from building control from the local council just to pass you a cert only reason being insurance liabilitys with out looking i cant really say wether it needs a catnic/concrete plinths or steel rsj but the council will advice you on the spec i hope this helps
acorn construction ltd
Answered 17th Jun 2011
Bradford • Member since 14 Jan 2010 • 45 jobs, 98% positive feedback
Yes a simple reinforced concrete intel 1140 (doorway width plus minimum 150mm overlap each side) x 100 x 65 will meet building regulations.
Answered 18th Jun 2011
Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes
- All Questions
- Architectural Services
- Bathroom Fitting
- Carpentry & Joinery
- Carpet & Lino
- Central Heating
- Chimneys & Fireplaces
- Conversions - General
- Damp Proofing
- Demolition & Waste Clearance
- Fascias, Soffits & Guttering
- Gas Work
- Groundwork & Foundations
- Hard Flooring
- Kitchen Fitting
- Landscape Gardening
- Loft Conversions
- New Builds
- Painting & Decorating
- Restoration & Refurbishment
- Security Systems
- Tree Surgery
- I need the main tv ariel in the front room, to be wired into 2 bedrooms, in my second floor flat. As i can't pick up freeview, in any of the bedrooms. What type of person do i need for this job?
- I need to build a 51' long by 5' high wall. What type of foundations do I need and does the wall need to be double or single skinned.
- Moving external socket - what type of cable do I need?
- Do I have to insulate solid walls? Can I not and just insulate rest of house.