Conversions - General Question

We currently have a large dining room and single storey extension housing our kitchen and we like to knock through - what do we need to do first?

The wall inbetween is the original external wall of the house

9 Answers

Best Answer

I normally get the ground works, foundations, and slab finished then take the walls up as far as possible, I would then install the appropiate steelwork/lintels above new opening leaving walls below in place, at this stage we would then put roof and covering on secure windows and door openings with ply sheeting to secure and make building water tight (this saves damage to new doors and windows) once at this stage cut through new opening seal with plastic sheeting to keep dust out, you are now at the stage to make good and complete the work.
All the best

Answered 16th Jun 2011


Member since 29 Oct 2008

No feedback

Contact a structual engineer(or builder) to determine the size of the lintel you will need as this is a "loading bearing wall" Personally this is not a "diy" job,if carried out incorrectly you could end up "losing" the external wall

Answered 16th Jun 2011


Member since 22 Nov 2010

you will need to get an engineers report regarding steelwork to carry the back wall of your house. there is a good chance the steel will be quite large as i imagine it is carrying the roof, rear wall and the pitch of the extension?

A good or competent architect will be able to advise you best to suit your needs and can oversee a job from start to finish, depending on your finances.

the best place to start is by getting reviews of local architects and getting some prices from them.

Answered 16th Jun 2011

F Geo Robinson (Coventry) Ltd

Member since 5 Jan 2010

You need to contact a structural engineer to produce structural calculations to determine the size of the Universal Beam required to take the load. You will also then need to contact Building Control as its a structural loadbearing wall and they will need the calculations.
I hope this helps

Answered 16th Jun 2011

Tony Browne General Building

Member since 2 Feb 2010

You will need to conact your local planing dept for building regulations they will asses what type of rsj or lintol you need what siseto take the weight of brick work above the will charge you a small fee for there valuable information hope this helps ian all building services 16 6 11

Answered 16th Jun 2011


Member since 7 Jun 2011

Have your builder of choice call around and inspect the works requiered, caculations will have to be made as the wall will be a load bearing one, discuss your budget and requiered finish.
Get a contract of works pay your small holding deposit .
the rest will be history.

regards Ashley

Answered 16th Jun 2011


Member since 3 Mar 2009

you will need to employ a structural engineer to assess the steel lintels required then submit to local authority for approval

Answered 16th Jun 2011


Member since 9 Mar 2009

You will need to remove the wall and insert 2 R.S.J's to support the upper wall. The first action would be to get a costing for the work required, to see if it is within the budget you have set for the project. You will then need calculations to acertain the correct size of the steel work. Prior to work commencing you will need to apply to the Local Authority for a Building Notice. Any good builder would be able to do all this for you to make the project as easy and smooth as possible.

Answered 16th Jun 2011

Brookside Building Services Ltd

Member since 1 Sep 2010

As this is a load bearing wall your first port of call has to be a structural engineer to work out load calculations and give you sizes of steels to be used,padstones etc.Then find a reputable builder to carry out the work for you.You will also need to fill out a planning notice(a good builder will help you with this) A building inspector will visit at designated stages of the build when requested and when he is satisfied it has been done to standard will issue a completion certificate.
No s/e report = no building notice = no completion certificate = loads of aggro later
Hope this helps

Answered 16th Jun 2011

m w building construction and property maintenance

Member since 28 Sep 2008

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions