Electrical Question

New fuse board consumer installation without being signed off

Hi, having had the worse experience with cowboy traders... In the recent past I had my Main Fuse Board replaced because it was the very old wiring fuse string type so I thought I would upgrade to the newest model.

The trader who carried this work was at the time seemed very nice and trustworthy.

Having completely installed a new consumer board and paid him on the day, I was advised the certificate would be sent through via post.

This was the last contact I had from this person and I had never received my certificate of installation, I have tried every contact method to get hold of this electrician but he seems to have disappeared.

In the end I advertised my situation and requested help on whether my newly installed consumer could be checked by another electrician and sign off the works!

I was advised by this new trader that he could carry out the works as he is Napit qualified which enables him to inspect and sign off works on site.

So I agreed and he sounded yet trustworthy although I had my doubts, so I did request proof of qualifications which was provided.

On the day of this new trader coming to inspect the works he advised me he couldn't sign off the works because under law they cannot sign off works for other traders but he can carry out an ECR which will be just as the same and will protect me with the legal requirements.

I trusted this trader but thinking back during the sleepless night of my wary decision, was I wrong to trust another trader without looking this up?

Can I ask for some advice? And where does this leave me now?

Kind Regards

3 Answers

Best Answer

As the original job was a consumer unit replacement there really is no reason why he could not accept responsibility presuming he was going to do all the tests required and the consumer unit unlike the rest of the installation running through the fabric of the building is fully accessible for inspection and testing. I would have been happy to in effect start the paperwork from scratch to issue an installation certificate which would have meant you could also have received the compliance certificate.
An EICR may be accepted by the LABC but they can also refuse to accept it for the purpose of compliance.

Answered 26th Sep 2013

kevin cassidy building contractors

Member since 16 Dec 2010

Although the original electrician that put the new unit in for you did not issue you with a certificate, you are ultimately liable and you can still be fined up to £5000 for not complying with the law. It's your responsibility as the homeowner to hire a Part P registered electrician. see link below


As the NAPIT electrician has rightly pointed out, technically it's illegal to sign off other peoples work and the only legal way round this is to carry out a full Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR). However you must check with your local building control department that this is acceptable to them as many local authorities will not accept and EICR and want a full certificate covering the works. If this is the case it's either rip it out and pay to get it redone or pay the local authority fees (approx. £300) to get their inspector to test and certify it.

Every single day this happens to people in the UK. So a word of warning to anyone else reading this. Only ever hire a Part P registered electrician that can show you evidence of their registration.

Answered 26th Sep 2013

Electrical Safety Services

Member since 17 Oct 2011

Kevin Cassidy has offered you poor advice. An electrician cannot sign the document as either the Constructor, or Designer of an Electrical Installation Certificate where they are not in-fact the constructor or designer, without committing fraud.

Some Part P schemes offer a Third Party Certificate scheme (see https://www.napit.org.uk/schemes/third-party-certification.aspx), but these are ultimately useless unless your local building authority will accept them. The NICEIC, for example, will not cover any work certified in this manner under it's insurance backed warranty scheme, and so does not offer this facility to it's contractors.

Your best course of action is as Electrical Safety Services have stated, to contact your local authority and have them advise.

Answered 18th Feb 2016

Ravenscroft Electrical Services

Member since 18 Feb 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions