Ask a tradesman

Loft Conversions

Where do i begin to look for a company to do my loft conversion. there are lots on google; but how do you know they are a good firm?

We have 3 bed semi and require an extra bedroom.

6 Answers from MyBuilder Loft Conversion Specialists

Best Answer

I would suggest you research into a company for any bad reports etc.
some companys complaints etc can be found on internet.

Your best bet is to meet with companys and ask them to provide you with contact details for recent customers and then enquire to these for genuine feed back and possibly ask to view builers work.

We have recent customers who are very pleased with our work and are more than happy to provide potential customers with these requiremnts

We are roofing and building company and get alot of our work this way.

We would be happy to provide you with a free quote and advise

Best regards
DFV Roofing & General Building


Answered 11th Jun 2011

post the job on my builder you will get reputable firms with positive feedback for loft conversions ,what more could you ask for ,yellow pages google ect ,dont give you anyidea of a builders performance record ,this website does


Answered 11th Jun 2011

You should make a list of which companies you think are appropriate to carry out the job, contact them and discuss the job, ask them for references and even go and look at examples of their work. Then ask for quotes, be very carefull to make sure they have all price the same (some companies shall miss bit from quotes to put in the lowest price, then sting you with extras) good luck


Answered 11th Jun 2011

As you are dealing with a structural element to the property, your primary concern should be to ensure that the company you are dealing with are not only qualified in designing structural changes but experienced in implementating the work. As an example our company has a structural engineer in house, who can not only design the scheme but oversee it's implementation.
You should also ensure the company carries adequate insurance to carry out this type of work and that they have professional indemnity insurance. This will ensure you protected against the design and professional advice they give.
Ask lots of questions, ask to see there relevant insurance and if you are at all doubtful of their competence - look elsewhere! It is not worth taking a risk with the structural safety of your home.
Hope this helps.


Answered 11th Jun 2011

The best advice that I can give is asked to see current jobs that being built along with completed jobs. Ask for references and speak to clients.


Answered 11th Jun 2011

its really simple. get your plans and calculations done by a architect, like myself. then get a few builders that are local to your area. they will give you a list of recomendations, this is the important part spend the time going to the houses and see the work the builder has done. make sure the jobs are recent and you speak to the owners, the more the better. anyone can show you letters and pictures. but a good builder will want to use you as a referance in the future.
hope this helps


Answered 12th Jul 2011

Post your job to find high quality tradesmen and get free quotes

Can’t find an answer? Ask a new question

Question Categories