Electrical Question

Wiring kitchen led over cabinet lights via a 3 pin plug


I have purchased a set of 3 individual LED Low voltage - 12 Volt, comes with 1 x low energy MR11 LED lamp. And these come with a 7w LED Driver transformer.

Now I simply need to add a 3pin UK plug to the transformer, and I have asked the company supplying the lights, what fuse rating to use and they said either a 3amp or 5amp fuse.

I wondered which fuse rating would be best, as they will be 3 lights (Here is the actual product: http://www.simplelighting.co.uk/products/Pack-of-3%2C-LED-Overhead-Swan-Neck-Cabinet-Lights-Including-Transformer.html ) in a line through one transformer as well as a remote control dimmer. Here is the product: http://www.simplelighting.co.uk/products/LED-Dimmer-With-Remote-Control-%28RF-Dimmer%29-%252d-Use-With-Our-12v-%252d-24v-LED-Products.html

I am presuming all I need to do is to wire the transformer to the UK 3 pin plug that has either a 3amp or a 5amp fuse, as I am simply screwing the lights to the top of the cabinets, and then attaching them to the dimmer and then the transformer, and dropping the plug wire through a gap I have next to the cupboards and plugging into the plug socket underneath the cabinets, this means I can simply switch them on as and when I require without the need to run my ugly overhead fluorescent tube! (It is a social housing flat, so can't simply replace this!)

This is the plug I was thinking about: http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~147815~Masterplug-3-Amp-Fused-Plug

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me, it is a long time since I had to add a plug, and I want to make sure I buy the correct one!



Well the lights arrived, and after very kind people on here confirmed a 3amp fuse would be OK, I have managed to wire them, with the remote dimmer, and all working perfectly!

Many thanks for all your help!



2 Answers

Best Answer

Yes, you can use the 3A fuse. Normally 3 Pin Plug comes with 13A fuse so remember to change it to 3A.

Answered 22nd Aug 2013

B S Electrotech Services

Member since 21 Aug 2013

Hi, as they are rated at 7 watts you won't need anything more than a 3A fused plug. Any standard British plug will suffice.

Answered 23rd Aug 2013

My Sparky

Member since 18 Jun 2013

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Electricians who can help you with your project.

Search all questions