Plastering Question

Wall plugs falling out due to crumbling plaster

We have a kitchen cooker splash plate that was fixed to the wall with 4 metal wall plugs. They have since pulled right out of the wall and the holes in the plaster are all crumbly. Clearly we can't just put them back in with the plaster in that state. This is a rented property, so I can't really ask the landlord to re-plaster the whole wall. Would it be stupid to try to 'glue' the plugs back in with some filler?

Any suggested alternatives to re-plastering?

5 Answers

Best Answer

Use a good quality mastic maybe Gripfill or even a resin and push the plugs into the compound after nearly filling the holes.Leave to cure which can be less than a hour depending on the mastic you choose and then offer the screws back into the plugs.

Answered 11th Jun 2011

Cannon Preservation Ltd

Member since 21 May 2011

If it's a plasterboard wall, then use plasterboard toggle fixings. If it's a brick wall use window fitters self drilling screw. Drill masonry hole out and drive screw in without a wall plug. Fill the surrounding damaged area.

Answered 11th Jun 2011

Pro Finishing Services

Member since 12 Jan 2010

Are you sure this wall isn't plasterboard? The metal wall plugs you talk about are used for plasterboard.

The quickest, simplest solution might be to use silicone sealant. A few beads of
silicone on the back of the splash plate, push it back onto the wall and keep it
held in place for a few hours (some heavy boxes pushed up against it) should do
it. You could even use some silicone to fix the screws (and cover caps?) in place
so that it looks as it should.

Not the ideal solution I grant you, but it should work.

If it is a solid wall, I would use something like gripfill to make good the
crumbling walls, with a new plastic rawl plug in place. PVA the plaster first
and then wait until the gripfill is fully cured before attempting to screw the
splash plate back.

Good luck.

Answered 11th Jun 2011


Member since 18 Dec 2010

You could try to epoxy the plugs back in.

Answered 10th Jun 2011

Ch kitchens bedrooms bathroom

Member since 4 Jun 2011

if the holes arnt that bad, put the wall plugs back in and fill around with splinters of wood, when you put the screw back in it will be a tight fit if you have put in enough filling, alternativly, take away all loose plaster and fill with poly filler.

Answered 11th Jun 2011

PPT Renovations

Member since 28 Nov 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Plasterers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions