Groundwork & Foundations Question

I have two cracks in the wall of my bay window. they need to be looked at. would this be a job for someone dealing with groundwork and foundations or would i need to contact a different trade?

6 Answers

Best Answer

It sounds like you may need a structural engineer, depending on how bad the cracks are. If the cracks are only hairline, then rake them out, get a decent filler, rub down and paint over.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Berrylands Building Company

Member since 20 Dec 2010

No feedback

Hi Bridget

Have these cracks just started? Or got morse and opened up recently?
In a honest opinion i would seek advice from a structural surveyor/engineer as if it is a ongoing problem and is getting worse or the crack is opening you need to make sure your foundations are 100%.
He/She might just say it can be knitted back together by meens of Crack Stitch Repairing which is a way of tying the brickwork back together with Stainless steel Heli Bars and resin/grout embedded in the mortar joints.

Good luck

Scott Cannon.

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Cannon Preservation Ltd

Member since 21 May 2011

depends where the cracks are,could be ground movement your safest bet is to employ a chartered building surveyor to give you a report and a solution which could include underpinning although bay windows are notorius for these kind of problems when windows are replaced and the wall are not supported during installation.

Answered 5th Jun 2011


Member since 26 Aug 2008

The cracks may not be from subsidence, you may have wall tie erosion and or some other problem, Post as a job for a bricklayer/builder and get quotes /advice

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Pro Finishing Services

Member since 12 Jan 2010

a bricklayer would give u the right answer , would u like me to call around and look at the job u have for a tradesman

Answered 5th Jun 2011


Member since 28 Jun 2007

You need to consult a Structural Engineer who will investigate and advise on the best course of action. If its not a Structural issue then the cracks will just simply need making good. Any rectification done under the guidance of the Engineer would be covered by his professional indemnity insurance.

Dave Middleton

Answered 5th Jun 2011

Middleton Contracts

Member since 27 Mar 2009

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Groundworkers who can help you with your project.

Search all questions