Conversions - General Question

Do you need building permission to remove an internal supporting wall?

6 Answers

Best Answer

hi i have just done a internal wall removal and fitted a steel in place you wont need planning for your work ,but building control will be needed go to your local council they will do the building control notice in 48 hrs ,then they will come out to see the beam in place then see the finished job then sighn off the work hope this helps

Answered 29th May 2011

Finebuild Builders

Member since 26 Feb 2009

Here's how it works:
You don't need planning permission, but the beam that you use will need to comply with the Building Regulations and must be inspected. You can submit plans if you like, but it more usual to fill out a Building Notice and then get it inspected from that. The point is this, that if you submit plans and details, and then do it as stated, then you won't have any problems with the installation, whereas with a notice you'll get it inspected AFTER you've put the beam up. So you'd better be sure you've done it right!
Depending on what type of beam you use, you may be asked for calcs, to prove that it's up to the job. However with a catnic you can get the calcs from the manufacturer, because they are deemed to satisfy. Otherwise you'll need someone to do the calcs for you.
A quick rule of thumb: opening width/18 = beam height.
You should also set the beam(s) on concrete padstones if you're using RSJs

Answered 31st May 2011

Architech Planning services

Member since 8 Jan 2009

you will requier "Building Regulations" for the removal of any structural wall, a set of plans of befor and the proposed works! ,if the wall is dividing a room from the main stair case it will not be allowed!!due to fire regulations,could do with a little moor information to give 100% acurate brief.
regards Ashley

Answered 29th May 2011


Member since 3 Mar 2009

You need to inform local building control. It's a must!

Answered 29th May 2011

GD Constructor

Member since 21 Dec 2009

You dont need permission as such but you will need a structrual engineer and building regs.

The engineer will need to do calcs for the beam to satisfy building regs.

Answered 29th May 2011

D.S Builders

Member since 2 Jun 2008

yes you need planning permission and a structural enginer to tell you what size steel, posts, pilers you will need, as you need to surport the weight the wall is surporting

Answered 29th May 2011

D.N.A Building Services Ltd

Member since 21 May 2011

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Conversion Specialists who can help you with your project.

Search all questions