Kitchen Fitting Question

How difficult and expensive is it to reconnect an electricity supply inorder to replace a freestanding double gas oven with a freestanding gas hob and electric oven?

We are buying a house which currently has a freestanding gas hob and oven. The present owners have informed me that they have previously had an electric oven and when changing to gas had the electricity supply boxed off. They assure me that it is still reconnectable, however I believe the wiring is situated behind the tiling between the extractor fan and hob surface.
I am trying to work out whether it is better to go with buying a double gas oven and using the existing set up or if I can by a gas hob with electric oven as this is what I would prefer.
Any help or explanations on how this would have to be done and how much it is likely to cost would be gratefully received.

Thank you

6 Answers

Best Answer

Hi Michele,I f the present owners say that a electricity supply has been capped off, then you are probably correct in assuming that it is behind the tiles, wether it is still live tho is another question, It would normally have been provided as a " cooker point " which would also have been 30 Amp you need to look on your consumer board/fuse board, but i should say that most ovens now ( even double fan assisted ) come as 13 Amp plug ins which makes things a lot easier when these sort of things happen, Hope this helps somewhat steve @PDQ

Answered 22nd May 2011

PDQ Property Repairs & Services

Member since 23 Mar 2011

Quite normal to cap off an existing supply when switching to gas.
Instruct an electrician to come and investigate for you as they are most knowledgable in whether it is still suitable and fit for purpose

Answered 3rd Oct 2013

SES Electrical Contractors (UK) Ltd

Member since 16 Sep 2013

I'm going to firstly assume you're willing to remove a few tiles to view the cable and that you are competent to work with electrics, otherwise call an expert in. If so, using a non contact cable tracer/voltage tester to locate the cable. Check conductor size if the cable exists, it will need to be 6mm cross sectional area. IMPORTANT some cookers can be rated at 49 amps which would require a much larger cable size. If cables ok then fit a cooker outlet behind the cooker. The circuit must have a double pole isolation switch that is available easily for future testing and inspecting procedures. Do all the Electrical Tests on completion
Good luck

Answered 8th Oct 2013

MPEP Building Services

Member since 7 Oct 2013

Not difficult in 90% of cases .there will be a work around .call in a decent sparki.

Answered 20th May 2011

A1 Affordable Services Ltd.

Member since 4 Sep 2008

it all depends where the old supply is and also if the supply meets current regulations otherwise it could invalidate house insurance, best to instruct a professional in my opinion

Answered 21st May 2011

Ali Plumbing

Member since 13 Nov 2010

No feedback

Good evening his should be a quick fix if no cables have been cut off. Any sparks should sort this within the hour. The size of the cooker you can use will depend not only on the size of cable that is in the wall and the rating of the mcb or rcbo supplying power to it. Both can be changed but the cost for this will vary depending on a number of factors. If you get 3 quotes you should get a good price. Cheapest isn't always best ask the sparky to explain to you how he is going to do what he has quoted you for. As getting the cable there the right way can sometimes take all day but also can be done in minutes using trucking. Hope this helps. Max Electrical

Answered 26th Jan 2017

Max Electrical

Member since 21 Sep 2016

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Kitchen Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions