Bathroom Fitting Question

Do i need an electrician to take out a jaccuzzi bath or just a plumber

9 Answers

Best Answer

Although this is primarily a plumbing job, it would be advantageous to hire a firm with plumbing and electrical experience. Isolating the power to the jaccuzzi should be straight forward, but as it involves an electrical circuit in a bathroom it would be wise to employ a firm that can isolate and make safe within the regulations.

Answered 19th Feb 2011


Member since 21 Jul 2009

Hi there,you should only need a plumber as the electrics should just be plugged in under the bath...

Answered 19th Feb 2011

E&M Plumbing & Heating

Member since 26 Feb 2009

The plumber will need to be Part P registered to be able to disconnect, isolate and test to prove dead, this is due to it being in a special location (bathroom).

Answered 19th Feb 2011

four cpc

Member since 29 Dec 2009

my own personal recomendation would be for a qualified person to disconect the electrics and make safe by whatever means are practicle to the given situation as I have seen an awfull lot of unsafe terminations in bathrooms made by plumbers who dont really know what their really doing. Not trying to disparage plumbers because some are qualified to do this but I think most are not.
And if you look into it a lot of bathroom/kitchen fitters are qualified to work on electrics and issue certificates like myself.
So ultimately make sure your guy is qualified. You may have to live with the consequences(or not).

Answered 19th Feb 2011

kevin cassidy building contractors

Member since 16 Dec 2010

It is always best to have a qualified electrician and plumber, I am trained in both.

Answered 19th Feb 2011


Member since 9 Apr 2009

you just need a compertant person. it should be on a spur. and not on a plug. as someone has mentioned

Answered 19th Feb 2011

northview property mainenance

Member since 13 Sep 2010

You need a plumber with at least part p electrical competence. Bathrooms are considered special locationsa and all new electrical works apart from like for like replacments are notifiable under part p all circuits supplying or passing through a bathroom must be RCD protected (unless 16th edition installs). However, the underside of the bath is considered out of all zones which can be seen as a loophole in some situations. It is good practice to install a double pole switch (fused connection unit) somewhere for local isolation but not with 3 metres of the bathtub to isolate the bath in the event of any problems.

Answered 19th Feb 2011


Member since 25 Nov 2010

No feedback

The best option is to use a bathroom specialist as they will have the task force which covers all relevant trades.

If you decide to use a general plumber they will need to be Part P registered under the NIC EIC scheme { Governing body for safe electrical contractors} to be legally able to disconnect, isolate, decommission and test.

The bathroom is classed as a high risk zone in properties so its always best to think of safety first .

Answered 20th Feb 2011

East Quay Bathroom Design

Member since 31 Jan 2011

You dont need Part P to strip out only to fit new. Check it out with |Part P regs guys

Answered 27th Feb 2011

Jeff Stockdale Plumbing and Heating

Member since 28 Nov 2010

Need help with your project?

We have tradesmen ready to help you. Post a job, read reviews and hire today.

Post a job

Need some help?

Post a job on MyBuilder to find quality, local Bathroom Fitters who can help you with your project.

Search all questions